Maximize your shifting potential with an automated manual transmission.
When it’s time to spec a new truck for your fleet, the available options can seem a little overwhelming. Not only do you have to make choices about application and driver comfort, but you also have to decide which features will help you maximize efficiency and reduce operational costs.
That’s why, when it comes to the powertrain, more fleets are turning to automated manual transmissions (AMTs).
As the name implies, AMTs use an on-board computer to automatically control the clutch and shifting. Rather than relying on input from the driver, the computer continuously monitors the changing conditions of the road grade, vehicle speed, acceleration, torque demand, vehicle weight and any type of resistance, resulting in a more efficient shifting pattern.
AMTs provide several fleet and driver benefits, including:
- Fuel economy savings of up to 10 percent, since they optimize shifting to limit fuel consumption
- Fewer driveline repairs caused by shock loads, thanks to a reduction in improper shifting and spinning wheels
- Longer clutch life, due to improved shift quality
- Higher driver productivity and lower fatigue; drivers don’t have to worry about shifting gears, which allows them to more easily adapt to the demands of the job
- A larger pool of eligible drivers, which is critical since many new drivers don’t have experience with manual transmissions
In fact, AMTs are so popular that Mack Trucks now offers the mDRIVE™ automated manual transmission as standard equipment on all Mack® Pinnacle®, Granite® and Titan by Mack models:
- The mDRIVE transmission features 12 speeds and an impressive base torque input capacity of 1,920 lb.-ft. to deliver smooth shifts every time, while also maximizing driver comfort, payload and fuel economy.
- The mDRIVE HD is available as a 12-, 13- or 14-speed with optional creeper gears and multi-speed reverse gears to deliver up to 2,060 lb.-ft. of torque for the most demanding jobsites.
All models integrate seamlessly with the Mack MP® 7 and MP® 8 engines, and can be upgraded at any time with a software update.
Still not sure whether an AMT is the right choice for your next Mack truck? Just contact the parts and service professionals at your local Mack Trucks dealership to learn more about the Mack mDRIVE transmission and how it can help you increase efficiency on every drive. And don’t forget to log on to the SELECT Part Store™ any time day or night for exclusive discounts and next-day delivery on key preventive maintenance and repair products.