Mack Introduces its Mack® mDRIVE™ HD in the High Horsepower, Heavy-Haul Titan by Mack Model
TORONTO (March 5, 2015) – Adding to its increasing lineup of models featuring the highly fuel-efficient Mack® mDRIVE™ automated manual transmission, Mack Trucks announced today during the National Heavy Equipment Show that the mDRIVE HD is now available and standard in the Titan by Mack model.
“We built on the success of the Mack mDRIVE, previously only available on our highway models, and engineered a heavier-duty version of the automated manual transmission, resulting in the mDRIVE HD, standard on the Mack Granite® and now standard on the Titan,” said Stephen Roy, president of Mack Trucks North America. “When paired with the powerful heavy-haul Titan, it offers Mack customers unparalleled muscle to easily handle the most difficult of loads.”
The mDRIVE HD offers improved performance for demanding on- and off-road applications. The mDRIVE HD in the Titan is compatible up to 2,060 lb.-ft. of torque, 515 to 605 horsepower and integrates seamlessly with the powerful Mack MP10® engine. Featuring specialized heavy-haul software for GCWs heavier than 140,000 lbs., the mDRIVE HD in the Titan easily manages applications such as logging, lowboy and oversized hauling.
The 12-speed mDRIVE HD features an automated clutch, so no clutch pedal is needed. The mDRIVE HD is controlled through a dash-mounted shift pad, enabling the driver to select drive, neutral or reverse. For more demanding jobsite conditions, the shift pad can be operated manually to hold a gear, downshift or upshift.
The mDRIVE HD in the Titan model monitors changes in grade (both up and down), vehicle speed, throttle position, acceleration, torque demand and gross vehicle weight. It automatically chooses the best gear for the road condition, allowing drivers to focus on the terrain rather than shifting gears, increasing safety on worksites. The mDRIVE HD is serviceable at Mack’s coast-to-coast dealer network.
Other features of the mDRIVE HD in the Titan include:
- The mDRIVE HD is lightweight. Including transmission oil, the mDRIVE HD is more than 200 pounds lighter than other transmission offerings, enabling customers to haul even more payload.
- It features reinforced internal components. With stronger gears and synchros, the mDRIVE HD is built to withstand more frequent shifting that is often needed in heavy haul applications.
- The mDRIVE HD uses a transmission-mounted oil cooler. The mDRIVE HD’s oil cooler helps maintain an optimal operating temperature, despite repeated, heat-generating shifts.
- Unique software packages, specific to the customer application, are available with the mDRIVE HD. The “Heavy Haul” package brings a more aggressive shift strategy with performance-oriented shift points and fewer skipped gears. “Enhanced Construction” provides optimal on/off-road capability and gives the driver full control over any terrain. “EZ Shift” delivers smoother shifts for sensitive payloads like livestock or bulk liquids.
- The mDRIVE HD offers a Rock Free feature. Should the vehicle become stuck, this feature allows the driver to rock the truck back and forth simply by pumping the accelerator.
- It features Grade Gripper. Working with the truck’s ABS system, Grade Gripper allows the vehicle to momentarily hold a hill, giving the driver time to move their foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal without rolling backward.
Mack unveiled the mDRIVE HD in February during the World of Concrete 2015 show in Las Vegas. At that time, Mack announced that the mDRIVE HD was standard in its Granite® model. The mDRIVE HD in the Granite features up to 1,920 lb.-ft. of torque, horsepower ratings from 325 to 505 and is designed to integrate with the Mack MP7® and MP8® engines.
The mDRIVE HD in the Titan is now available for order. For more information about the mDRIVE HD, please visit Mack booth No. 1240 at the National Heavy Equipment Show March 5-6 at the International Centre in Toronto, or contact your local Mack dealer.
Adding to its increasing lineup of models featuring the highly fuel-efficient Mack® mDRIVE ™ automated manual transmission, Mack Trucks announced today during the National Heavy Equipment Show in Toronto that the mDRIVE HD is now available and standard in the Titan by Mack model.